Sunday, July 5, 2009

Word Differentiation 4

Page 1 --- Page 2 --- Page 3 --- Page 4 --- Page 5 --- Page 6 --- Page 7
.
weather ---------- whether


weather - climatic conditions

* If the weather is good we can go for a brisk walk.

* The weather in England at this time of the year is usually very cold.


whether - if

* I am not sure whether I will be able to come tomorrow.

* Contact me about whether you can come or not.

-------




Another ---------- The other

another - another thing or person means an additional thing or person of the same type as one that already exists.


The other - the other thing or person means the only remaining thing or person except the existing one.


* Have another piece of cake.

* Please fetch another cup for me.

* That's quite another matter.



* Both my uncles are abroad, one in Paris and the other in New York.

* One of them is yours; the other is mine.


When we are given two options, we say one or the other.

When we are given more than two options, we say one or another.



-------


Anyway --------- Any way

anyway - ( in any case ) ( at any rate )

* Anyway, we can try.

* I will not change my mind, anyway.

* " I can give you a lift if you wait ". No, I'll walk. Thanks, anyway.


any way - any possible method

* If there is any way in which you can help me tide over the difficulties, let me know.

* He could not find the way to the village in any way.

* I cannot manage it any way.



------


Asleep ---------- Sleeping

asleep - someone who is asleep is sleeping.

Asleep is adj being placed in front of the verb to be. It cannot be used before a noun.


* Looking at the asleep baby. ( wrong )

* Looking at the sleeping baby. ( right )

sleeping - ( present participle of sleep )

Sleeping is adj that precedes a noun such as sleeping baby etc. While it is used after the verb to be, it is functioning as a verb.

* Who is that sleeping man ?

* Keep an eye on the sleeping baby.

* Let sleeping dogs lie.



------



at ease ---------- with ease

at ease - feeling confident and relaxed.

* The old couple are quite at ease as their son is out of danger.

* With good social security, the aged can live at ease.

* Her promise of support set my mind at ease.

* I don't know why he is ill at ease.

with ease - easily or without difficulty

* They fulfill the task with ease.

* Our football team gained the day with ease.

* Every day we marched twenty miles with ease.



------


Into ---------- In to

Into - transforming from one condition into another.

* He fell into the pond.

* The explorers get into difficulties.

* The boss flew into a temper.

* The rain changed into snow.

In to - ' In' is adverb and ' to' is preposition or bare infinitive

* Let's go in to look at the book show.

* Entries for the competition should be sent in to the editorial board before January 19th.

* The news came in to us.

* They went in to supper.



-------


Believe ---------- Believe in

believe - to accept as true

* Do you believe his reports.

* I can hardly believe my eyes.

* In ancient times, it was believed that the earth was flat.

believe in - to have faith in somebody or something.

* We do not believe in ghosts.

* He believes in getting plenty of exercise.

* In the days of the French Revolution, people believed in liberty, equality and fraternity.

Comparing the two sentences :-
I believe him ( = I believe what he says )

I believe in him ( = I trust him )



------

No comments:

Followers