Thursday, July 9, 2009

Common Errors Page - 2

Page 1 --- Page 2 --- Page 3 --- Page 4 --- Page 5 --- Page 6


USE OF ADVERBS
IncorrectHe does not know to swim.
CorrectHe does not know how to swim.

IncorrectDon't go in the sun.
CorrectDon't go out in the sun.

IncorrectI know him too well.
CorrectI know him very well.

IncorrectI shall of course do it.
CorrectI shall certainly do it.

USE OF CONJUNCTIONS
IncorrectNow you are tired, you may rest awhile.
CorrectNow that you are tired, you may rest awhile.

IncorrectNo sooner had he died, when his sons began to quarrel.
CorrectNo sooner had he died than his sons began to quarrel.

IncorrectHe asked me that why I had not gone there.
CorrectHe asked me why I had not gone there.

IncorrectUntil you remain idle, you cannot succeed.
CorrectAs long as you remain idle, you cannot succeed.
IncorrectOne of his family members is dead.
CorrectA member of his family is dead.
CorrectOne of the members of his family is dead.

IncorrectMy brother's all the books have been stolen.
CorrectAll my brother's books have been stolen.
CorrectAll the books of my brother have been stolen.

IncorrectFor what you are here ?
CorrectWhat are you here for ?

IncorrectTell me why did you go there ?
CorrectTell me why you went there ?

IncorrectI, you and he will go together.
CorrectYou, he and I will go together.

IncorrectExercise is good both for work as well as health.
CorrectExercise is good for work as well as health.

IncorrectHe did not abstain to smoke but persisted to purchase valuable cigars.
CorrectHe did not abstain from smoking but persisted in purchasing valuable cigars.

IncorrectTo him I did a request which he did not comply.
CorrectTo him I made a request with which he did not comply.

IncorrectI cannot bear your separation.
CorrectI cannot bear separation from you.

IncorrectOpen the last but one page of the book.
CorrectOpen the last page but one of the book.
IncorrectI solicit your favor to grant me leave.
CorrectI solicit the favor of your granting me leave.
IncorrectThose who are absent, I shall punish them.
CorrectI shall punish those who are absent.

IncorrectAfter doing the work, his face brightened.
Correct

After he had done the work, his face brightened.



IncorrectWe shall be glad to get your good news.
Correct

We shall be glad to get good news from you.



IncorrectI feel myself feverish.
Correct

I feel feverish.



IncorrectYou have no excuse to be forgetful.
CorrectYou have no excuse for being forgetful.

IncorrectHe rose equal to the occasion.
CorrectHe rose to the occasion.
CorrectHe was equal to the occasion.
IncorrectAre your work busy ?
CorrectDo you have a busy job ?


IncorrectI am going to a picnic.
CorrectI am going on a picnic.


IncorrectI am a bit in a hurry.
CorrectI am in a bit of a hurry.

IncorrectI'll date her out this Saturday.
CorrectI'll take her out on a date this Saturday.

IncorrectIf one day I am good in English, I would definitely admit it.
Correct

If someday I am good at English, I will definitely admit to it.



IncorrectHow do you think to learn the English ?
CorrectWhat is your point on learning English ?

No comments:

Followers